Recommended Software or Hardware
Often students and parents ask about equipment needed to do Freestyle work at home. The list below is not required but for those families that can afford it, here is what we use at Freestyle.
- All Freestyle students use Adobe Creative Cloud CC 2018 Applications (NOT 2019 Applications!!!). Check your Freestyle email on instruction on how to get the Adobe Creative Cloud CC 2018 Applications for home computers. Install the software on your home computer and we can provide the license for it so that it won't cost you any money. Note: Our current license is only for Adobe CC 2018 NOT 2019 - so don't install Adobe CC 2019 because our 2018 software is not compatible with the 2019 versions.
- All students also use Wacom Cintiqs, digital drawing pads (we use 6x8 pads) and DSLR cameras (we use Canon T6i or better)
- Animation students will use Autodesk Maya. Please check your Freestyle email on installation and activation with a free Serial Number for use at home.
- Film students use Premiere Pro CC for video editing. Starting in the Fall of 2019, Film students will use custom built PCs more capable of handling 4k video.
- Students use Canon T6i DSLR cameras which has full 1920x1080 HD video capability.
- Film Students also use the Tascam DR-40 portable recorder for film audio.
- Design and Animation Students also use the Tascam DR-05 portable recorder for audio interviews.
- Students also use for music production: AVID Pro Tools, Propellerhead Reason, and Ableton Live. Please check your Freestyle email on installation and activation for use at home.
- Students can check out a used iMac for use at home for the entire year while inventory is available. Fill out this online form to sign-up for equipment to use at home.
- Students can check out a used digital drawing pad for use at home for the entire year while inventory is available. Fill out this online form to sign-up for equipment to use at home.
- For either PC or Mac computers to purchase for yourself, the above applications work best with 16 GB or more of RAM. Any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook or iMac running Mac OS 10.13 or 10.14. The Apple Education Store has some deals for students. Speak to Mr. Taylor about a PC recommendation.
- Students can also sign-up and use lynda.com for video based tutorials
Digital Drawing Pad
Cintiq Drawing Tablet
Film - Tascam DR-40
Digital Media - Tascam DR-05
Here's what is provided for you at Freestyle. You don't have to get any of it for yourself.