About Freestyle Academy of Communication Arts and Technology
At Freestyle Academy of Communication Arts and Technology in the Mt. View-Los Altos UHSD, we believe passion drives success. We also believe 21st Century communication skills with and without technology are necessary for success in any workplace, organization or institution. We believe that school should be a fun and rewarding place to learn these skills. In essence, Freestyle Academy provides students a unique, relevant and challenging, but fun opportunity to find or enhance an artistic/technical passion and develop their communication skills that are applicable to most any field of study or work.
Since 2006 when Freestyle opened its doors, we have challenged students to be creative and imaginative with communicating their ideas by producing art for larger project-based units through various multimedia visual and audio formats with modern software and hardware tools. Each student takes 3 classes at Freestyle Academy that contributes to the final productions for each quarter-based project. In this 2-year program limited to 80 Juniors and 80 Seniors, each student enrolls in 2 required core classes English and Digital Media (max number of students 20 per class) and then chooses a production focus either Film or Design or Animation (max number of students 13-16 per class). Students take other classes and complete other graduation requirements (Math, Social Studies, Civics, Economics, etc.) at Los Altos HS, Mt. View HS or Alta Vista HS for the remainder of each day.
Because “story is king”, all project ideas begin in our 1st required core class of English through readings, discussions, critiques, brainstorming sessions, writings and peer editing. In our 2nd required core class, Digital Media students develop their creative expression by learning tech skills to communicate with websites, podcasts, photo galleries, animations, video productions, and original music productions with live and MIDI instruments using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Animate, InDesign, After Effects, ZapWorks Studio, Wordpress, Pro Tools, Reason, and Ableton Live. All students have access to our modern and fully equiped studio for filming, animating, photo shoots and audio recordings.
For their 3rd class:
- Film students develop their creative expression further by producing 2-10+ minute documentary, narrative, and experimental videos with Premiere Pro, Audition, Garageband, Media Encoder, and After Effects.
- Design students develop the project ideas through visual art such as photography, illustrations, diptychs, drawings, magazines, and books with the use of DSLR cameras, lighting kits, electronic drawing tablets, Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Animation students develop their creative expression further by producing short 2D and 3D animations with Maya, Animate, After Effects, Audition, DragonFrame, ZapWorks Studio, ZBrush, and Media Encoder.
How Will This Help You?
There is a body of research that has shown arts education engages students in learning. When students are engaged, truancy and dropout rates decline. Student involvement in the arts is linked to higher academic performance, increased standardized test scores, and greater involvement in community service. Studies have demonstrated that students who attend schools where the arts are integrated into the classroom curriculum outperform their peers in math and reading who did not have an arts integrated curriculum.Otis College of Art & Design (2016). 2015 Otis Report on the Creative Economy of California. Retrieved from Otis College Website: https://www.otis.edu/sites/default/files/2015-CA-Region-Creative-Economy-Report-WEB-FINAL.pdf
At Freestyle Academy, you will not only strengthen the necessary writing, speaking, and research skills you will need in college and in the workforce, but you will also learn critical communication skills that will help you express your ideas in creative, exciting and original ways such as but not limited to:
- conceptual art and photography
- photography with DLSR manual settings
- experimental films, music and photo/video poems
- original and adapted short stories and screenplays
- narrative and documentary films
- storyboards and graphic novels
- narrative short animations
- video commercials
- video trailers
- magazine articles
- published books
- surreal photography and illustrations
- original music compositions
- portraiture photography and illustrations
- self-designed projects
- portfolio showcase with community professionals
- 9:30 am to 12:00 pm each weekday (basically Per. 2, 3, 4)
- except Thursdays 10:05 AM - 11:35 AM
- 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm each weekday (basically Per. 5, 6, 7)
- except Thursdays 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
Articles about Freestyle Academy:
Where did Freestyle Academy Alumni choose to go?